Share this content on Facebook!
05 Mar 2014
Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most widely publicised health related topics in each winter and this is because residents put their lives in danger each year by failing to adequately examine and maintain heating appliances on a regular basis.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas, which can be exceptionally difficult to find. For those people unforunate enough to come into contact with it, it is often too late. However, there are a number ofeasy actions which you can take to reduce the threat of this kind of poisoning. If you haven't carried out at least two of these actions, you have to do so without delay.

1) Get informed, there is lots of information available on the internet from sites such as www.boilerblog.co.uk. Lots of people believe carbon monoxide poisoning to be something which is only connected with gas fired home appliances. This is not correct. It is present in all sorts of fuel burning appliances from solid fuel heaters and ranges, to oil fired main heating and appliances and yes, gas home appliances too. Whatever kind of heating and/or oven system you have, get it checked frequently by a registered professional.

2) Check for the presence of black, sooty marks around the radiants (the clay bars above a gas flame).

3) Buy an audible alarm system. You can of course take steps to try to find indications of carbon monoxide without having to spend any money, however my guidance to you would be that even if you have to scrimp and save for anything this winter, let that be a carbon monoxide alarm. You can not put a value on preventing a death and these alarms are affordable, yet most definitely capable of saving life.

4) Examine for smoke building up in rooms due to faulty flues. This can be particularly likely with solid fuel / wood burning fires. Malfunctioning flues will commonly lead to smoke re-entering the room. This can be exceptionally toxic. Turn the fire off or put it out immediately and call a registered professional if this takes place.

5) Stay alert. If you are concerned about the possible presence of carbon monoxide in your home since observing any of the tell-tale indications mentioned above, contact your doctor as quickly as possible. Leave your home right away and organize for a specialist to check out your house as soon as possible. If carbon monoxide is discovered then get to your regional physician at the first chance.

Carbon monoxide deaths are easily preventable and are for that reason even more terrible. These deaths generally take place between November and February each year and as such, now is the time to act. Winter is the most common time of year for examining heating and stove appliances, so while you're checking yours to ensure it's fit for the winter ahead, don't simply focus on preventing it from breaking throughout a cold spell. Get it thoroughly inspected for indications of carbon monoxide leakage and make sure where possible that as many of your friends, family and neighbors do too.


Comments

There isn't any comment in this page yet!

Do you want to be the first commenter?


New Comment

Full Name:
E-Mail Address:
Your website (if exists):
Your Comment:
Security code: